The following information, in general, reflects the process for applying for a license to an HHS invention.
STEP 1 – Identify Technologies
- Use the Find Technologies section at the right of the webpage screen to search for and view abstracts describing HHS technologies available for licensing.
STEP 2 – Contact a Licensing & Patenting Manager
- If you require additional information after viewing technology abstracts, please contact the individual named at the end of each abstract.
STEP 3 – Complete and Submit a License Application
- The NIH Application for License is available for downloading at /resources.
- Submit the completed form to the Licensing & Patenting Manager, consulting with her/him if you have questions. This individual will contact you after their review of your application.
STEP 4 – Review Model Agreement and Negotiate Terms
- Model agreements are available for downloading at /resources.
- Consult with the Licensing & Patenting Manager if you have questions. This individual will typically prepare the first draft of your agreement.
STEP 5 – Receive the Completed License Agreement
- After execution, a Royalties Coordinator will contact you with the Welcome Package that includes an invoice and a copy of the executed license.
- If tangible materials were licensed, the materials will be shipped after payment is confirmed.